Monday, January 4, 2010

Brrrrrr.............. It's cold outside!

So much for global warming................... it is COLD here in the "sunny south"! :>) My husband thinks it is funny that I was raised up north but hate the cold so much. I don't think I could live up there anymore!


This morning we woke up to our downstairs being a toasty 51 degrees! Our propane tank was empty! Thankfully the upstairs is electric, and I had a small space heater that we used downstairs. Feet looked like this.......
And the baby stayed bundled all day too!We were very glad to see the gas truck pull into our driveway this afternoon!
Because of the cold snap this week I have planned different kinds of soup or chili all week long. Tonight we had French Onion soup and it was SO easy. I thought I would share the recipe. It tastes just like Atlanta Bread Company!
French Onion Soup
8 cups Beef Broth
6 onions sliced very thin
1 stick of butter (I cut it back a little)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
Cook in crock pot for 6 hours on high.
Serve over a slice of French bread and provolone cheese.
French Bread
1 1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup milk (makes lukewarm when combined)
2 Tbs oil
1 Tbs honey
2 tsp salt
2 TBS lecithin
4-5 cups freshly milled whole wheat flour (hard white)
2 tsp instant yeast
Combine water, milk, oil, honey, salt, and lecithin. Add half of the flour. Mix thoroughly. Add yeast and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes). Let rise until double. Divide in half. Roll into a rectangle and then roll each side in tightly, tucking under the ends. Place on greased French bread pans or cookie sheet. Let rise until double. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. Makes 2 loaves

Stay Warm..................

3 comments:

Marc said...

Maybe that husband of yours should check that tank more often.

Love you,

Marc

A Joyful Chaos said...

Zero outside. 50 in the house. Our furnace is on the fritz and our two heaters and the fireplace are doing their best but we're still cold.

I'm looking forward to spring.

The Missionary Man said...

Aloha, and Mahalo for stopping by my blog and I so appreciate uour kind thoughts. You know, you are right, I did witness a Birth, I had 4 c sections because of my narrow pelvis, the only small thing I have lol... but I did assist in a delivery of my Best friends second child!!. It was a miracle, and I am checking it off today. Honestly I think I may have witnessed a few miracles in my Life already, but in my mind I think I wanted tochalk them up to servive and not so much connected to me, but I am glad that you reminded me of this, because I will totally own it!
Your family is lovely!! and I look forward to sharing more with you
New Year Wishes from across the Sea
All my Aloha
Brandi