Saturday, April 21, 2018

Our journey begins....

I had intended on blogging our journey but life has just been busy.  I wrote this Facebook post one night last week so here goes...


You never know what a day may bring.....
Many years ago when Marc and I were newlyweds we went through what was then called "Map" classes, or foster/adoption classes. We were still in college but thought we would eventually like to adopt a baby. Instead, God gave us McKenzie and we were blessed! Every few years He added another blessing to our family, but we always knew that "one day" we were going to foster/foster to adopt.
About a year ago the Lord started preparing our hearts that perhaps it was time. I didn't want to be the one to make the move, so I prayed that if we were supposed to do this Marc would take the lead. I wish I had written the date down, but it was one day last August that he came home and told me he had called DFACS and we were set up to go to an informational meeting. I was EXTREMELY nervous! (Any home school mama will tell you that social workers are something we don't want to hear about! ) We prayed together before we went into that first meeting that the Lord would give us a "sign" if we weren't supposed to do it. I kind of thought maybe I wouldn't like the social worker or something. Well, she was very sweet and we were set up to do our first of what seemed a gazillion screenings to prepare to begin what they now call "Impact" classes. So again, like any good worry wart mother I prayed that I wouldn't have a good feeling about things during classes if we weren't supposed to do it.
The classes went well, screenings were done and we were set up for home visits and our home study. This was where I really got nervous! I mean... inviting a social worker into my home! Again, we prayed and the Lord was so gracious to us! We had a sweet Christian lady come to do our home study. When we first started this process we talked to each one of our children... from the oldest down to "baby K". I wasn't about to embark on anything that my kids weren't comfortable with. Each child (as much as the younger ones could grasp) were not only willing but they were excited about what the Lord might have in store for our family. The social worker had to talk to each one of our children and at first I was very nervous about that. The Lord brought such a peace to all of us during the whole process. Everything was complete on December 9th and it was just a waiting game for the final sign off. For all those weeks it was in the back of our minds. Finally, one day last week we got a phone call that we were approved and had to go into a meeting on Thursday. On Friday we got our first call. We were all nervous and excited as we waited to hear if they were bringing the children that day but some circumstances unfolded that prevented that. So...... we went on with our life.
This morning I was doing jumping jacks with Myles getting him ready to start school when my cell phone rang. I had a feeling it was going to be another call and it was. So... this evening snuggled safe and sound in my arms is a precious baby boy. We have no idea what the future holds for his little life or for our family but we are confident that God in His sovereignty does.

2 comments:

Marie said...

What a sweet story!!! You are such an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Blessings to you and your family on this new journey!