Sunday, January 14, 2018

Maintaining minimalism...

I know I have mentioned it on here many times.  I have never been a packrat, however when you have a family of 9 in a house for over a decade there will be "stuff".  Also, when my mom died almost six years ago the clearing out of her home gradually caused my own to have more.  It has been a process but I finally feel like I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. 
 
 
I didn't just want to just "clean up" or clear out things only for it to build back up again.  I still have a ways to go in the clothing department (good grief!  My kids have way too many clothes!), but a lot of our house is pretty clear now!
 

This room has served as our gated off play room the entire time we have lived here.  It was necessary with three baby boys born in the last decade!  However, the "baby" is four years old and I really wanted to use our dining room for.... dining! :)



This room is off limits for toys.  It also has to be clear/cleaned daily so it never really gets dirty!  It is my "happy spot". :)  It certainly isn't fancy... I definitely am not into fancy, but it is stuff that makes me happy!


The above wall is a New Orleans plate from where my dad went to seminary and the alma mater is framed next to it.  It brings me joy!  It is clean, simple, and  family history!


I have gotten rid of/sold most of my decorations and lamps.  I have bought a few new things but haven't replaced everything.  That is the best way to simplify!  Don't replace things you get rid of when you are still trying to "minimize".


This hutch was my grandma's.  It used to be dark brown. (I think I posted a while back the before and after pics.)  I have china from my wedding that I have never used.  I would love to sell it!  I'm just not into  formal things.  It is taking up much of the bottom section and I would love to free up the space for something else.  The things in my hutch are things that I love, have meaning, and we actually take them out and use them.. all the time! They don't show in the pictures, but the right hand side are cake plates! I love cake plates!

 
Another big "no no" when you are trying to be a minimalist is sticking things places. The top of the hutch would be an easy spot to stash things  but I try to deal with things immediately.  Again, I only keep meaningful things and things that I love!
 

Last night I went to town with Madeline.  Our schedule has been so hectic lately and she had been asking me to go to Panera with her sometime. We slipped off and while we were out we went into Hobby Lobby.  Their Valentine stuff was 40% off so I got three new things.  My justification.... I dropped a box of stuff off to donate while we were out.  I try to always take something out if I bring something in.  I cleaned off my dresser yesterday too. I decided I no longer liked the things that were on it.  My bedroom is going to go through some necessary changes soon and I hope to declutter/change the look in there when we renovate.  Lots of things are changing in our home and family this year!  I will write more later!!

~Until next time.....

No comments: