Wednesday, March 25, 2015

George Washington Carver

"I asked the Great Creator what the universe was made for. ‘Ask for something more in keeping with that little mind of yours,’ he replied. What was man made for? Little man, you still want to know too much. Cut down the extent of your request and improve the intent.” Then I told the Creator I wanted to know all about the peanut. He replied that my mind was too small to know all about the peanut, but He said he would give me a handful of peanuts. And God said, ‘Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of the earth—to you it shall be meat.’ I carried the peanuts into my laboratory and the Creator told me to take them apart and resolve them into their elements. With such knowledge as I had of chemistry and physics I set to work to take them apart. I separated the water, the fats, the oils, the gums, the resins, sugars, starches, pectoses, and amino acids. There! I had the parts of the peanuts all spread out before me. I looked at Him and He looked at me. ‘Now you know what the peanut is,’ He said. “Why did you make the peanut?” I asked. The Creator said, ‘I have given you three laws; namely, compatibility, temperature, and pressure. All you have to do is take these constituents and put them all together, observing these laws and I will show you why I made the peanut.’ I therefore went on to try different combinations of the parts under different conditions of temperature and pressure and the result is what you see.”  ~George Washington Carver

I loved this quote that Marc read to us this evening during our famly Bible time.  McKenzie did a report on George Washington Carver many years ago for our home school group at the time.  He was a fascinating man.  We have a movie about him that is very good too.

No comments: