Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Matt is Driving!

After 3 hours spent at the drivers license office, Matthew got his permit! We had already been waiting over an hour when he finally got to take his test. He finished the test in about ten minutes and then the computers froze. We waited forever while they worked on them and finally got out of there at 5:30!

He turned 15 last year but didn't have any interest in driving until now. He has had lots of practice already driving tractors, four wheelers and the truck in fields. When McKenzie got her permit she had NO experience at all. The day she got hers I took her into the little town where we live to practice. There wasn't a car in sight but she was terrified. The speedometer didn't even register. I remember thinking she would never learn how to drive. She is now a very capable and careful driver! :o)

We left the drivers license place and I had to go by the grocery store. I knew he was wanting to drive, so once I got back out of town where there wasn't any traffic I got out and let him drive. There is a five mile stretch of a country road that leads to our house. He hadn't gone half a mile when there was a license check! The state patrol kept flagging him to move up and he was creeping. He finally stopped five feet from the officer. The guy laughed and said, "What are you going to make me walk?" I leaned over and told him that he had just gotten his permit an hour before. He said, "Yeah, I thought so." I don't think Matthew thought it was funny. :o) He drove really well for his first time and he went quite a bit faster than McKenzie did her first time! When we left the house everyone was cheering him on, and when we got home they were greeting him with the camera!

1 comment:

Giann said...

haha....I was like McKenzie - I had no experience whatsoever! Have fun driving! :)