Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Moving Day...

It has been a hard summer since the death of my mom in May. My dad was living in a big house with a pool over an hour away from any family. My sister and I have gone back and forth every week staying with him. We have his house on the market but it hasn't sold yet. After thinking of lots of different solutions (none of which were perfect) we decided it would be best to move him temporarily into my sister's rental house which is just a few minutes from her house. We knew we had to do it, but it was VERY sad moving him out of his home.

The night before the move. Probably one of the last swims in that pool.

So many wonderful memories were made in this backyard.


McKenzie stayed home to take care of the animals and our youngest three (which was a huge help!) Matt and Madeline went to help with the move.



I can't imagine how he felt pulling away from the home that he and my mom lived in for the last 25 years!

Lots of tears were shed as we drove away from Willowbend Way....


His new home is very cozy and is a perfect set up for him. I was amazed how fast we got things set up. Madeline and my niece Carrington did the entire kitchen by themselves!


We tried to put touches of my mom around the house. We displayed her glasses on his dresser. My sister and I were laughing at what "sentimental slobs" we are and that we are turning our kids into that too! They put the magnets back on the refrigerator just like my mom had them, even down to a list that she had written before Christmas!


We have always lived the closest to my parents, so we spent a lot of time with them. It is weird thinking about him not being at his house. It was so sad as we pulled away to go home, but I was so thankful that he had a granddaughter standing there with her arms around him!

2 comments:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Thank you for sharing... In my time of losing and grieving I have learned that we all grieve in different ways... the practical person that I am I am not attached to things... I would say that pictures have been my most treasured thing... but I can't imagine leaving a home after living in it for 25 years... the memories that go along with that house... it's just amazing! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers as you continue thru this season in your life. Always remember that God's grace is sufficient and He is always there for you!
God Bless!!

Unknown said...

Awe! I couldn't help but tear up a little reading your story. We had to move my mother out of her house about a few years ago. Just seeing your pictures and reading how hard it was to move your Dad brought back memories. Thankfully we sold her house then hired long distance movers, so it was not as stressful. Thanks so much for sharing your story.