Thursday, February 17, 2011

Because it was too late...

I decided to take pictures. :)



The other day after a big rain Mariah spotted Malachi laying in this puddle in our driveway. She yelled, "Mama, look at what Malachi is doing!" He was having so much fun and it was obviously too late to worry about it! The pictures pretty much sum up his personality!


Tuesday I was in the house when I heard a commotion. It sounded like the noise you hear when something has happened. My mind whirled wondering what in the world it was as I ran out the front door. McKenzie yelled as she was going in the other door that Malachi had burned his foot. The day before Matthew had been burning leaves in the back and the pile was smoldering. He was going to put the hose on it before he came in that evening and I told him to just let it burn down. Mariah and Malachi decided to go back there and "kick the ashes" on each other. She said she thought the fire was out because it wasn't smoking anymore. The ash went down into his mud boot and burned the top of his foot. I was my typical self and freaked out. McKenzie handled everything while I ran and jumped in the shower. (Why do these things always happen on the day you decide to stay in your pajamas longer!?) After four calls to our pediatrician's office and not getting an answer I decided to take him to the ER. Looking back (you live and learn), I probably could have treated it at home. There was a male nurse in the ER that came in and talked to Malachi. He said, "Dude what happened to your foot?" Malachi said, "Mariah put me in the fire." He can't say "Mariah" very clearly and the man said, "Your mother put you in the fire!?" I said , "NO, he said Mariah and no she didn't put him in the fire, they were kicking the ashes." I kept waiting for a social worker to walk in! Isn't it awful that those things even have to cross your mind when you are trying to take care of your children!? He has 2nd degree burns on the top of his foot, they gave us ointment, bandages, pain meds (that he won't take) and he got a Popsicle out of the deal! He is a tough little guy and has done great. I think that he and Mariah learned a valuable lesson that they need to obey when mama says NEVER go near the burn pile!

1 comment:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Live and learn... they will always remember that lesson!
Those pictures of Malachi in the mud puddle are wonderful! Oh to be a kid again... although truthfully I dont think I would have ever done that as a child either... but it sure does look like fun!