Sunday, May 16, 2010

Character Building...

Thank God every morning when you get up, that you have something to do that day which must be done whether you like it or not. Being forced to work, and forced to do your best, will breed in you a hundred virtues the idle never knew.

-Charles Kingsley

We learned that quote a couple of years ago during school.
I remember when Matthew was very young, a mother that had several older boys gave me some advice. She said to never stand in the way and try to "protect" Matthew when his dad was making him work hard. Sometimes as a mama that can be hard when it looks like they are working them too hard. Now that Matthew is 14 years old I can see why she told me that. It is so important for a young boy to learn how to be a protector and provider one day for his family. Our society has really feminized boys. Store ads make the boys look almost pretty. Human nature is to be lazy and take the easy way out. Marc recently read a book with Matthew called "Created to Work" that we ordered from Vision Forum. I am very thankful that he is training our boys to grow up to be strong, Godly Men!


We never lack for outside work around here. There is always something that needs to be fixed, hauled, dug or cut! I tried to dig a hole the other day to plant a new hydrangea bush. The ground was so hard, I couldn't budge it. I went in the house and asked Matthew to dig it for me. I explained that it needed to be a pretty big hole. He came back in just minutes later and told me it was done. I said, there is no way you dug it deep enough. He said, "I did mom. I am a LOT stronger than you." Yep, he is! :>)



Wishing that I would quit taking his picture!



I told him to show me his muscles and I snapped a picture. He said, "You better not put that on your blog!" :>)
"The soul of a lazy man desires and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich." Proverbs 13:4

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Great post! I'm going to look for the "Created to Work" book for my husband (and me). We have teenage boys who are a bit on the lazy side. It's a constant battle to them to help out around the house and i know its mainly my fault as I enjoy waiting on them hand and foot.

Hope all is well....