Friday, February 12, 2016

Moving Grandpa

Two weeks ago we moved my 90 year old dad to live close to us.  My sister and I have worked hard the past almost four years since my mom died to take care of him.  It hasn't been easy, but life isn't always easy. 
The summer following the spring that my mom died my oldest sister and I took turns going back and forth to the town where they lived.  We were trying to clean out their home and get it ready to sell.  The trips were exhausting as we were mourning the loss of our mom, taking care of our own households and children, and trying to take care of our dad too.  We stayed at his house some and also took him to our homes. It was a challenge because he was so much older than our mom and didn't need to be driving.  I got pregnant with Macheus that summer and that added to an already really tough summer.
 

We did a variety of living arrangements trying to make him happy and also trying to share the load of caring for him.  It has been HARD!  He was in a retirement duplex for the past year and a half and wasn't happy there.  It was expensive and he wasn't utilizing the food or enjoying the other residents.  My sister was weary of caring for him, so I started looking for an apartment close to me.

We found a cute two bedroom apartment that is in a safe area and a good size for his stuff.  McKenzie and I busted our tails a couple weekends ago working until almost midnight two days to get him settled.  I had no choice because I needed to home school on Monday!  My kids have always been so willing to help with their grandparents.  Honestly, I don't think they think a whole lot about it.  I'm thankful they are learning to sacrifice and serve, and that life isn't all about them and their comfort.  Serving others is never easy or convenient. 


Last Friday evening we took him to a local church for a concert.  When we took him home Mariah asked if she could spend the night.  He was tickled that she wanted to and we ran to the store to get her a toothbrush.  She cleaned his apartment while she was there.  Saturday I grocery shopped and then went to his apartment and cooked some food for his week.  That night when I got home I wanted to cry.  It was a long tiring week and it all came crashing down on me.  I know God will give me what I need each day to do this.  McKenzie and I are going to come up with a master list for his meals and hopefully we will get into a routine.  She is a huge help to me, but with a  baby coming soon I know her flexibility won't be as easy.

This is our mission right now.  It is not always fun and it certainly isn't glamorous.  You don't have to go on a summer mission trip to do missions.  Sometimes it is right in front of you.... sometimes it is even your own dad.  And if you can't take care of your own... you really don't have your priorities right anyway. :(

"This job has been given to me to do. Therefore, it is a gift. Therefore, it is a privilege. Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God. Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him. Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God’s way. In this job, not in some other, God looks for faithfulness." ―Elisabeth Elliot

Do The Next Thing
From an old English parsonage,
Down by the sea,
There came in the twilight,
A message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend,
Deeply engraven,
Hath, as it seems to me,
Teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours
The quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration-
DO THE NEXT THING
Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment,
Let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity,
Guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows,
Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus,
DO THE NEXT THING
Do it immediately;
Do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence,
Tracing His Hand,
Who placed it before thee with
Earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence,
Safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all resultings,
DO THE NEXT THING
Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
(Working or suffering)
Be thy demeanor,
In His dear presence,
The rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance
Be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness,
Praise and sing,
Then, as He beckons thee,
DO THE NEXT THING
-Author unknown

2 comments:

Susan Powley said...

Lovely post!
Thanks for your story. There is much wisdom within it. You're right. If we can't do for our own we don't have our priorities right.
You're dad I'm sure is thankful to have his daughters faithfully taking care of him and am sure he feels blessed and I'm also sure that your mother would be incredibly proud and thankful for the loving way you are caring for your father in her absence.

Marcy said...

Susan- Thank you for those encouraging words. This is definitely the hardest stage of life I have been through. I know the Lord will see me through, but it is hard some days!
Thank you for commenting!