Friday, August 14, 2015

Friday night ramblings....

It's been a while since I have been on here.  Life is incredibly busy and I keep waiting for it to slow down.  This evening as I pulled out of our driveway with the girls for hair appointments, I made a comment that I didn't know what I was doing wrong!

We started back with home schooling two weeks ago.  Malachi has really turned the corner and that is a huge blessing and relief!  His schooling took so much of my time last year, and I didn't see how I could handle another year like that.  Macheus is a very active two year old now!  It seems while I clean up one mess he is off making another one.  As I write this post we have a toilet that is sluggish because of something he has flushed down.  We aren't sure what it is, but it probably means Marc will be taking the toilet up again to fix it!
 The week that school started our desk top officially "bit the dust"!  Thankfully, we had a couple of laptops that the kids could use to get their school work done.  Mariah is doing Teaching Textbooks this year and needs a computer for that.  Matthew's college classes start back next week and he will be taking two classes on campus and two at home online.  Madeline started her college courses and all of hers are online.  We NEED our computers to work!  Last weekend we bought a new desktop, so all is well in that department.  Now if I can just find the time to get my stuff off my old one so I can cut the cords and pitch it!  Our office/classroom is a mess.  When things are a mess, I don't function well!



Madeline's college......  Madeline is a very bright girl and also very driven.  Last year we put her at Veritas Classical Schools for Biology and Geometry.  She got straight A's both semesters but was miserable.  We knew we didn't want to send her back there this year but I felt like she needed more than I was giving her at home.  Marc suggested having her tested to see if she could hang with college courses.  I was a little hesitant since she was just finishing 10th grade.  Marc took her to Georgia Military College (which is the same school he got his associates degree from!) and she blew the test out of the water!  They got her enrolled, but I had one question for the advisor.  I asked her if she thought Madeline should wait on college algebra since she hasn't taken Algebra 2 yet.  Her response was,  "Her test scores prove that she is ready."    The program she is signed up with maps out her schooling for her Junior and Senior years in high school and when she graduates she will be one quarter shy of having her associates degree.  She is doing very well in English and Psychology (besides it being chock-full of garbage!), but man.... Algebra is killing ME!  Bless her heart........ she is such a perfectionist that she has shed many tears over it.  We have told her it wasn't the end of the world and to just do the best she can.  We will all be glad when this quarter is over!



What one of my days looked like this week..... and this is a pretty "typical" day.  Up early usually greeted by one (or both) of my youngest fellows.  Macheus wants his "muk" (milk) the minute he gets up! :o)  Once I get them settled at the table I mop the wood floors. (Yes, I mop over them quickly every morning.  I am always barefoot and I can't stand walking on grit!)  I make my bed and start a load of laundry.  At this point if everyone is on their morning chores I dart out the door for my daily run.  I usually run 9-11 miles depending on the day.  It is my sanity, and I am a much nicer person when I can get it done early! :o)    I get back and get the two little boys busy with something quiet. (Well, they are never quiet, but at least corralled in the playroom!)  Malachi works on some things that he can do independently while I jump in the shower. Once I get out it is time for Saxon Math!  Oh how I hate the Math Meetings!  Malachi told me the other day that he loved doing the math lessons with me.  Bless him!!!  He is pretty good at math so it isn't too painful!  Mac eats his lunch early and goes down for a nap by noon.  He is not my best napper, so we are thrilled if he sleeps an hour and a half.  During that time I try to help Mariah and get some of her grading done.  I also work with Myles for about thirty minutes in the afternoon.  I am not a huge proponent of structured kindergarten.  Matthew was a kindergarten drop-out and he is doing just fine now! :o)  The afternoon is usually busy with finishing up laundry, getting supper started and letting the boys play outside.  The days are so busy!  This is just a tiny part of what we do.  There have been dental and orthodontist appointments, trips to piano, grocery store, library, phone calls, pest control man, babysitting for a three year old! (yes, I like self torture!), and on and on it goes...........  I know everyone is busy doing "something", but there is nothing I can eliminate! :o)  Oh.......... and just some other "distractions" that happen often around here.  Horses getting in the garden or busting out of their pasture.  Goats jumping fences.  Missing 5 year olds!  Myles has decided his favorite thing to do this week is disappearing and hiding in the chicken coop with the dog.  He comes out black with....... well, you know... mud and chicken poop!  Nothing makes my heart sink like wondering where he is.  He is our "lone ranger".  I do look forward to the day that he has a little more sense! :o)


We are doing "Get Ready For The Code" and other workbook type schooling with Myles.  Mostly he just plays.  Isn't that what kindergarten used to be anyway?  Crazy how they push kids so hard these days.  No wonder so many of them hate school before they even get started good!



Well, I guess I have griped enough.  It just felt good to tap all of this out on my keyboard!  I really am grateful that I have my children home with me and that I am able to home school.  I had a young woman tell me the other day (via Facebook... amazing how bold people can be behind their computer screens!)  that not everyone has the "luxury" to home school.  As I am drowning in school work to grade, breaking up arguments, cleaning up spills, trying to fix a decent meal, packing lunches, doing fifteen-eighteen loads of laundry a week, and wiping poopy rears I just have to laugh at how "luxurious" my life is.  I have a friend that "threw in the towel" with home schooling this year.  She is a "mom of many" that has always home schooled.  Honestly, I was quite shocked when she told me they were all going to public school this year.  As she stood in my kitchen trying to choke back the tears I really couldn't stand in judgment of her though.  I understand how hard it is!  I understand there are days that you feel like you are doing more harm than good.  I understand there are times you feel like your children hate you (and sometimes you might not like them either!)  I understand there are times that sitting down to eat, taking a (peaceful) shower, or even going to the bathroom without an interruption doesn't happen!  I do know that there is tremendous blessing when you persevere through the tough days.


I know a lot of people picture home schoolers laying around in their pajamas reading "Little House On The Prairie", or laying on a blanket under the trees doing our school work.  While there are wonderful days like that sometimes..... there are a lot of HARD days too!


There are so many things that I would miss if I weren't with them every day.  Even on the hard days I pray I never lose heart!

 
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9
 
*Disclaimer:  It is 1:00 A.M. and I am not proofreading any of this.  No judging! :o)

1 comment:

maureen said...

I love reading your blog and reading about your sweet family. Don't worry about those that don't "get" why we homeschool! You are doing a terrific job!! I have 6 children at home. Our homeschool has a 10th grader, 7th grader, 6th grader, 2nd grader and twin 2 year olds! While finishing every subject each day is always my goal, I call our school day successful as long as we do bible study and reading! (And as long as the twins haven't had to be rushed to the emergency room, which HAS happened!). This season goes so quickly...just breathe.

Praying for a wonderful and joyous school year for you!

Blessings,
Maureen