Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Learning

I love the laid back days of summer when you aren't bound to a schedule and schoolwork. We always do lots of reading though and this summer I decided to get a jump on Mariah's science. It has been fun because we have the time to do the experiments without rushing through them. Madeline has joined us and we have all (including me!) learned a lot! We are studying astronomy with "Exploring Creation with Astronomy".

One of our projects was to make homemade clay and make a model of Mercury. They looked better when they were first made. :o) Did you know that even though Mercury is the closest to the sun it is not the hottest planet? I don't remember learning that in school. Venus is hotter because of the atmosphere (in which Mercury has none-- so while it is HOT during the day, it freezes at night.) There are lots of really easy experiments and projects that help the children remember what they learned. Another thing they are doing is keeping a notebook on what we read each day. They write about it and draw pictures. They have had lots of fun doing that too.



My sister let me borrow these DVDs. They were AMAZING!!! I never really thought about how HUGE all of creation is. We are such a tiny speck living on little bitty Earth. It is amazing that God created ALL that He did and yet he chooses to love us. A man at church gave the illustration last Sunday and compared it to picking up a grain of sand and saying that you love the inhabitants on that grain of sand. Pretty amazing huh!?


"The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork." Psalms 19:1

1 comment:

Maddie Grace said...

i have to agree that science has been fun! I have a feeling that the experiment that we did was kind of "fake." Or it didn't turn out the way we planned. Or I just have high expectations. I purpose to memorize the verse at the bottom of your post.
Madeline~