Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Annoying Comments!


With this being my sixth baby I was sort of expecting some rude comments from people. It is funny how "large family" just depends on the group of people you are around. We are blessed to be in a wonderful, predominantly home schooling, family integrated church. At our church we are just an average family! However, in our little community that we live in, we are quite the oddity. We live in the country, but we do have neighbors up and down the road. I run everyday and we are outside all the time. Because I run I have met several of the neighbors down the road. The reactions to me telling them has been almost funny! One sweet neighbor was very excited and even commented that they would take this one! The others have not been quite as polite! :>) Here are some of the responses we have gotten. One lady, "Oh my God!" Yes, that was it. Another lady when I pulled my shirt tight to show her my growing belly said, "No you're NOT!" My oldest daughter babysits for two families down the street. They are both working mothers. She was babysitting for one of them the other day and she told the lady we were having another baby. (She thought number five was pretty odd!) The lady said, "Oh my gosh! I can't imagine. I would HAVE to be a stay at home mommy if I had that many!" I didn't know that was such a bad thing!

My husband has grown so weary of the smart comments from people that he has not even told people he works with. He hears the line "Haven't you figured out what causes that yet?"

It makes me sad that our society has gotten to the point that children are looked at as a burden instead of the blessing that the Bible tells us that they are. I love the quote by Doug Phillips of Vision Forum that says something like, "The Bible calls children a blessing and debt a curse, yet we prevent children and apply for debt." My sister made a comment that is so true. She said she has heard older couples say they wished they had had more children but she has yet to hear one say they wished they had had less. I am thankful for each one of my children and what they bring to the family (yes, even my wild two year old!:>)

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

By #6 I think most folks had given up on us! ;*)...but with an earlier pregnancy.. I think is was #3 or 4... I had read about this reply... I was shocked how easily it slipped right past my tongue... someone I didn't even know said, "don't you know what causes that?".. . I felt my cheeks turn a little pink, smiled as sweetly as I could and said, with sugar, "Why, yes, we do.. .and you know... we kind of LIKE it!". I don't think I could do it again.. but it was SO worth it!

Abigail and Lydia said...

Sounds like us! We often get "Are they all yours"! Or "Wow!". I guess that is what you are to exspect! Funny Post!
Lydia

Lisa Deal said...

Great post! Congratulations on the new little one on the way!!! That is so exciting! I can't wait to hear what new M name you guys will come up with!!!

Kathy - mom of many said...

Thanks for stopping by and for praying for my mom. She has to wait again for the test due to her low blood pressure. Now, it is scheduled for 12:30 pm Friday.

Believe it or not, people still ask me if I am going to have more children. Why would my philosophy change? You just have to get used to the comments and try to maintain a positive attitude which can sometimes be hard when they catch you off guard. I think a lot of people secretly wish they could get as much enjoyment from their lives as you obviously do from your life. Keep up the good work...and be careful running on those country roads :)

Gran said...

AMEN!!!! The more the merrier as far as I am concerned. Makes me so thankful at how God has blessed ED and I with so many grandchildren and they are GRAND! Love - Mom

Mike and Elizabeth Williams said...

Marc and Marcy ~~

Congratulations! We've enjoyed reading your blog as well as McKenzie's. We are waiting for the Lord to bless us with chilren. But, for now we are happy in the country with 15 chickens and a very energetic black lab.

May God bless your family,
Mike and Elizabeth Williams

Anonymous said...

it's that your husband is creepy with children and you brush it under the rug, I think that's what bothers people