Friday, January 9, 2015

Traditions

One of the many Christmas traditions that I have fond memories of from my childhood is making our Christmas Advent calendar. 
 


I remember each year being so excited as my mom would be drawing the lines on the poster board and I knew it meant a fun evening of making square calendar tags to put on each day.  She always had tons of stuff to use because she was such a crafty gal!  I on the other hand.... we usually have crayons, colored pencils, markers and lots of glitter!  I remember years ago using ribbon, but that was before I had all these little boys! :o)



I remember thinking that my mom and my brother did the most amazing calendar ornaments!  My brother's were always so elaborate! :o)  We don't get into it quite that much around here.  The kids had fun with a huge pack of glitter glue this year.  I think the boys just liked squeezing it all out!


To me the finished calendar is always beautiful!  I always pick one that each child made and tuck it away.  I realize now that I am older and my mother is gone, that you do those things for yourself.  My kids will wonder why I saved them all, but to me they are a memory from the past and a treasure!

No comments: