Monday, August 2, 2010

School days...

Today was a bittersweet day. It was the first day of McKenzie's last year of "home schooling". It seems like just yesterday we were starting her first day of school. I was so structured back then and I wanted everything perfect. We even did the Pledge and The Lord's Prayer in the morning! That just cracks me up now! Not that it was necessarily a bad thing, just that my life is so incredibly different (and a whole lot busier) now. Our day today started bright and early. I nursed the baby and was out the door for a run by 7:00. The children were all up doing chores and getting dressed for the day while I was out running.
When I arrived back close to 8:30 I was greeted by this sign made by Mariah on the door. (It says, "Welcome to school. Have fun teaching me.")

By 9:30 I was showered, dressed, laundry started, floors mopped and breakfast done. The children all had their outside and inside chores done and we were on with our first day! I SO badly wanted it to be a perfect day! (What is that verse about "we plan our days, but the Lord orders them?!")


Mariah and Madeline worked in the office. I am teaching them History and Science together, so I thought this would be a good set up. Who knows... I may have everything different next week! It is always hard to know who will work best where. Some are more distractable than others!

She wanted to know if this was just for me, or was I going to put it on my blog. Of course not! :>)


Matthew's first day of high school! When did THAT happen!? He was so happy to pose for his picture.

"Mom, would you PLEASE quit!?"

Only if you will give me one good smile!

Dilligently studying...

Hmm... Is he studying, or daydreaming about baseball?
Well, my perfect first day kind of unraveled. Within a five minute period I had Malachi whining, found a certain teenage boy reading a Boy Scout magazine (I mean come on, that Biology book HAS to be better than a Scout magazine!), realized the upstairs ac was leaking on our ceiling, Myles bit my shoulder and I heard Mariah screaming to the top of her lungs outside. (I imagined her getting kicked by a horse. de ja vu from last August! Thankfully it was only hornets!) I wish I could tell you that I handled it all with grace and patience, but I did not. I was asking for forgiveness during family Bible time this evening for my lack of patience with the children. Mariah said, "You didn't do nothin' to me. You are a sweet mommy!" Bless her heart! :>)
Poor little Malachi. All of his playmates were tied up today. I started the day off spending time with him. We read lots of books together. When it seemed he just wasn't going to be happy, I sent him for a rest. Within minutes I went back and found him sound asleep under the blanket!
After a much needed rest. Sundays are long and hard on this little guy!
Myles was content to eat, sleep, and play!
Well, it is late. The dishwasher is running, laundry put away, the house sort of picked up, and children are asleep. I guess I better go to bed so I can do it all again tomorrow! This job of mine is exhausting, but I really wouldn't trade it for the world!
Good night!

5 comments:

Giann said...

We will start school in a couple of weeks... Just out of curiosity, what biology book is Matthew using?

Wow! I can't believe McKenzie is graduating!!! I am going into the 10th grade!

And have y'all ever eaten a crawfish before? Just wondering.

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

Fun post Momma!
I thought you said you would not post that picture of me?!?:) I'll forgive you... just this once!

Love you dearly~

Maddie Grace said...

Hi this is your neice and daughter!We love the pics of Myles.So cuuuuuute!

Yes Malachi needs his rest is a understatement!Love you!

~Maddy,Carrie~

Lines From The Vine said...

Marcy, thank you for your recent visits to my site- I love finding your comments in my inbox in the morning! My feet are still hurting- but, as always, God provides! I just found out that a dear friend's husband is an orthodist! He has already sent me an email and offered to help with the pain I'm having. Aside from that, I guess I'm headed to the New Balance store in a few weeks to pick up some new, hopefully, better fitting shoes. The last ones I had were also New Balance, but I bought them at JCPanney and my doctor said they seemed too small. All said, I really don't want to stop walking...I feel like I'm finally making progress on losing some of the pounds I've gained having babies. Hope you have a great Saturday!!

Judy Butler said...

Hi Mom! This is Madeline this time! I like all the pics!!!