Sunday, March 17, 2013

Missing my mom..........

It comes in waves, some days better than others..........but today I am missing my mom.  I don't know why, but songs about heaven always make me sad.  I love thinking about her there and the fact that she is whole and happy, but it just makes me sad that I won't ever see her again this side of heaven.  Today a man at church sang a song about heaven and it made me cry.  It was kind of embarrassing because it wasn't the kind of song that someone typically cries listening to.

I think sometimes people think you should "snap out of it" by a certain point- like you can put a time table on grief. I remember two weeks after my mom died a pastor asked me if it was getting easier.  Really?  Um, no!  My mom had just died a very sad death.... much too young.... AND it was right at Mother's Day.  No, the grief was just getting started. 

Miscarriage is another loss that people often don't "get".  I guess if you have never experienced one you just can't understand.  I have had several miscarriages, but the one I had the fall of 2011 was really hard.  I think seeing the baby made it even more real.  I am VERY thankful for our new little blessing, but it doesn't take away the sadness of the ones that we lost.  I was looking at him the other day and overwhelmed at the love I have for him.  I started thinking about the babies we have lost and thought, they would have been just as wonderful as he is.  I know God is sovereign.  I am thankful that He gave us Macheus, but it is still sad thinking of the ones that we don't have.

I recently came across a couple of good articles on loss and grief.  I thought someone reading my blog might could benefit from them.

http://christiancounselingmadison.com/our-community/learning-center/archived-articles/moving-beyond-grief-and-loss/

http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html

"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes in the morning."  Psalms 30:5

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

My grandmother passed away last June and it has been very difficult for my mom and me. Thanks so much for posting this; it's very easy to feel alone while grieving and embarrassed that I haven't "snapped out of it" or still feel sad. I'm sorry for your loss and am praying for you and your family.
Yvonne

Donna said...

Marcy, I'm praying for you.. You're right; you'll have good days and some not so good. I know your heart yearns for her to see the joy that Macheus has brought into your home... for him to get to know her as the others did. I can imagine though, she is smiling down from heaven. Her grandchildren brought her so much happiness and joy.

You'll never know how "timely" this is for me today... My brother-in-law is still grieving so much. I am going to share these links with him. It's amazing how God prompted me to look up your blog today and find this topic after just talking with him last night.

Marc said...

I sure miss her.

Love you,

Marc

The Pauls' Family said...

Hugs :)

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

One thing I have learned since Mike passed away is that we all grieve differently ... there is no right way of grieving... God made us each unique.

I also don't think the pain ever goes away but God's grace is sufficient. He has brought me thru may hard days!

Praying for you Marcy!