Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving....

This is going to be a very different Thanksgiving for our family.  My children have always "gone to grandma's" for Thanksgiving.  This year grandpa is coming to our house for a few days.  I will be cooking (with the help of my girls) the entire Thanksgiving meal!  I have been a little intimidated but I have things going and I hope it will all turn out fine!  We are sticking with the same menu that my mom always did.  Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green beans, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, pumpkin pies and chocolate layer torte!  I am using all of my mom's recipes.  I pulled out the sweet potato recipe tonight to go ahead and get that made.  Seeing her handwriting made me sad.  We sure do miss her!


I thought I would reflect on some of the things that I am thankful for this year.  It has been a hard year and I could easily get into a "funk".  I saw on facebook a post from a lady that I know from the past.  She is at least fifteen years older than me and she wrote about how she was getting with her mom to start fixing Thanksgiving food.  My first thought was,  "That's just not fair!"  The preacher at the church we visited yesterday preached a sermon on the ten lepers.  One thing that he said that really struck me was,  "Ingratitude is the leprosy of the soul."  I do have so much to be thankful for.

I am thankful for my salvation.  I am thankful for Marc and his willingness to lead our family even when it is hard.  I am thankful for my children.  McKenzie, our firstborn.... She is dependable, hardworking, loyal and fun!  Matthew, our oldest son.... When I think of Matthew, I think of loyalty.  He has been so easy to raise and is growing into such a Godly young man. It is neat to see spiritual growth in him.  Madeline..... She is our gentle encourager.  She is very eager to come along side me to help around the house.  Mariah.... She is energetic, hardworking and brings lots of joy.  Malachi.... He reminds me of Matthew with his loyalty to his daddy.  He wants to be a "man" so bad.  He is eager to help and keeps us laughing with the funny things that he says.  Myles.... Our "baby" for now.  He is so sweet and very loving.  When Marc puts him to bed at night he has to say,  "I love you.  Good-night, sweet dreams,  strength and honor!" over and over and over...........  Marc doesn't always think it is funny, but I do! :o)  I am also very thankful for our newest little one due in about ten weeks!  Life is such a miracle and I don't take it for granted that the Lord has blessed us seven times!
I could write a list that went on and on, but I need to get busy.  Thanksgiving is only two days away and I have lots to do!!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1 comment:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

The holidays are hard for me also and it is easy to get into a funk but we do have so much to be thankful for!

O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.