Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bits and Pieces...

Last week our entire family had dental cleanings. Those are two days a year that I always dread. We have great dentists, but it is an all afternoon ordeal! Marc and Matthew were last on the list so I took McKenzie to the piano studio to work and the rest to Chick Fil-A to kill some time. Mariah wanted to trade her kid meal prize for an ice cream. I went to the counter with her and ordered an ice cream with chocolate syrup for myself. They never put enough syrup so I asked for extra. When we walked away from the counter she looked at me horrified and said, "I can't believe you said that! I am so embarrassed for you! That was so gray dy!" (greedy)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This morning Malachi was sitting at the kitchen table eating. He put his arms up and said, "Look at my bones!" (meaning muscles) I put my arm up and told him to look at mine. He said, "You have tiny ones, mine are HUGE!" Later he wanted to go outside. I had told him that I would read to him. He said, "No, I want to go outside, you go do laundry." I guess he must think that is about all I do! Some days it does feel like that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Speaking of laundry.... During our recent "ice storm" our dryer and computer both broke on the same day. I can make it without a dryer if I can hang my laundry out. I prefer hanging out the dark loads anyway. During freezing weather however, I much prefer having a dryer! For an entire week we had laundry hanging EVERYWHERE! I was so excited when the part came and Marc and Matthew got it fixed for me! It is amazing how the little things become BIG things when you don't have them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Why is it so hard to stop doing the things that you try so hard not to do? I try so hard to respond and not react to things. Ever since our accidents in 2009 I get so panicky whenever I hear loud commotion or crying. You know the kind of crying that you know is a "real cry". This morning I was in the office reviewing with Madeline for her Bible test. Mariah, Malachi and Myles were in the playroom. I heard Malachi cry and I sat really still waiting to see if it was a "real cry". When I heard him take in a breath and then let out a wail I jumped up. I looked in there and he was laying on the floor with blood all over his face. Mariah was standing there saying, "I didn't mean to!" over and over. I yelled at her, yelled at Matthew because "he should have stopped it!" I just don't handle crisis situations with my children very well, especially when there is blood involved! After I got him cleaned up and realized it was just a bloody nose I felt like such a rear end for yelling at everybody. I immediately humbled myself and asked for them to forgive me. Children are so forgiving; sometimes that makes you feel even worse! This evening we were talking about it and Matthew said, "Mom, you just freak!" Yes, I do...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


McKenzie works on Thursday afternoon and evenings teaching piano lessons where she, Madeline and Mariah take lessons. She informed me that one of her students that came today said he had been vomiting all day. Lovely!!! WHY would a parent take a child to piano lessons if he had vomited? She (being much like her mother!) scoured her hands and piano after he left. She came home and immediately jumped in the shower. Her boss called to tell us that the mother says he only vomited this morning and that it was something he ate. I sure hope so!


Goodnight!

2 comments:

Maddie Grace said...

I have to admit that that post was pretty funny!Well not the part about Malachi banging his nose on the floor.
Yes, Lord save us from the stomach virus! The deadly, fast and furious desease!lol!
~Maddy Grace~

The Pauls' Family said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of your days! We went to the dentist last week too, must have been the time :-) It was a friend of ours though and they let whoever wasn't getting looked after stay at their home, so it broke up the day a bit!

I am glad your dryer got fixed. Can't even imagine hanging that much laundry around the house :-)

It's hard not to freak out when you see blood, especiallly when you have no clue where it came from! I have had those moments too.

Yes, we had the stomach bug here. It passed through everyone in some form or another. I think we are over the worst of it now. Just some who are draggy and others who are out of sort from being catered to while sick!!! But the worst is over. Hope you all stay well and that is was just something he ate!!!