Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Evening Ramblings

It is cold.  Sunday and Monday were so pleasant but Tuesday it turned cold and it has been miserable.  I am NOT a cold weather person.  I do not like to wrap up and be cozy in the winter time.  I would much rather be moving around outside doing things! :o)
McKenzie tried to snap some pictures of Macheus for me the other day.  "Buddy" (our lab) always has to get in on whatever is going on.
 
 
 It doesn't show as much in these pictures, but Macheus belly laughs when the dog comes near him.  Buddy is so gentle with the kids.

 
 When Buddy was a puppy he started killing our chickens.  We knew either he had to be trained to quit (which goes against their nature) or he would have to go. Matthew worked hard training him and it paid off.  He is a great dog now and will just walk among the chickens and not bother them.
The other day Marc found Buddy chewing the carcass of a chicken and he scolded him.  The kids kept saying they didn't think Buddy killed it.  That night when one of the kids went outside a little after dark they saw a large bobcat!  We had a bobcat several years ago that almost destroyed our entire flock!  Hoping that one of the guys gets a shot at him soon!



This evening we veered from our normal routine and Marc took the family out to dinner at Cracker Barrel.  We rarely go out with the entire family but if we do, Cracker Barrel is one of the favorites.  I think the kids like the store even more than the food! :o)  After we ate, we all milled around the store for a little while.  It seemed like I heard "Mama, look at this." over and over again.  From one of the oldest looking for a gift for a friend, to the younger ones playing with the toys, they were all pulling at me.  To be honest, sometimes that can be irritating (especially at the end of the day.)  Tonight though, I was able to mentally take a step back and realize how blessed I am.  Thankful that they all wanted to be with their family this evening.  Thankful that something as simple as an evening out to Cracker Barrel was fun to them.  In that moment I purposed to take a minute to notice what each child was looking at.  I sure love each one of them!

 
The kids home school co-op classes started back this past week.  This semester they are taking things like sewing, crocheting, bead work, and theater.  Malachi is taking P.E., science and Animal Craft Devotions.   I try to let them make their own choices of which classes to take, but I am the most excited about the girls taking sewing again.  Our Tuesdays are packed with piano lessons and co-op classes.  I am always glad when Tuesday evening gets here!


I love this next picture.  We have some children's books about a dog named Carl.  Buddy reminds me of Carl.  The other day the little boys were in trouble because they had gone into the woods behind the barn.  They aren't supposed to go out there without a big kid with them.  I was hollering from the back porch and Buddy kept pacing back and forth looking at me and then looking out into the woods.

 
                                                                       ~Sneeze~



 
Well, I guess I have rambled enough.  Goodnight!

No comments: