Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby it's cold outside

We live in the sunny south,  where temperatures rarely get below freezing.  A winter day here is usually pretty mild and often we have blue skies and sunshine.  This week however has been the pits.  Today's run was frigid and tomorrow is supposed to be even worse.   The forecast is predicting 12 degrees tonight!  So much for global warming, huh!?  We learned through our Creation Science magazine that the earth is actually in a cooling trend right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had intended on doing a new year's post but with all of our holiday and birthday stuff it hasn't happened yet.  I am not one to make a list of resolutions for the new year, but we as a family always write out individual goals and sometimes family goals.  We have several home improvement projects that we hope to get done this year.  One is underway right now.  I will post pictures sometime.

One of my personal goals last year was to drink more water and to cut out drinks with sugar.  I will have to say I did really good on that one!  I have completely given up chocolate milk.  I loved chocolate milk! :o)  I drink water out of a quart mason jar and usually drink 2-3 of them full.  I will admit, I have an herbal/stevia powder and I add a little bit to it.  I also have liquid minerals that I add to it.  About six months ago I started seeing a naturopath that comes to our area once a month.  She has me on several different things, one of which is liquid fish oil.  That has been one of the hardest "health goals" to accomplish.  I down it in the morning now and don't think much about it.  It's gross, but I guess it is just a habit now!

This year my "health goal" is to cut back on sugar.  Might not seem like a big deal to some people, but that is huge for me! I am not into fried foods, potato chips, or soft drinks.... sugar is my thing! :o)   I drink a green smoothie every morning and I eat lots of salads.  I probably don't eat enough protein.  I guess I should work on that one too!

Other goals I have for myself is to "say less" this year.  I love the verse...  "The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.”  Exodus 14:14   I often want to "fix" things or want justice.  I have found in most situations that it is better to be quiet and let the Lord work in them.

I want to be more disciplined in reading my Bible in an organized way.  I have had years where I have been on a plan to read it all the way through in one year.  I accomplished it one time.  When I don't finish I feel like a failure. As crazy as my life is and as busy as I am, I need something not so overwhelming and more flexible than a plan telling me I have to read four chapters every day.  (The plan I did had you reading through the entire Bible plus some of it twice!)   This year my goal is to study a book at a time.  I haven't decided how much I will try to get done yet.

I already mentioned our family goal of getting some home improvement projects done.  I am not a "pack-rat" by nature, but with a large family you tend to accumulate lots of stuff.  I have been cleaning out, but I hope to do even more.  If we aren't using it or it isn't sentimental..... it needs to go!!!

Well, a goal that I should have for myself is to get in the bed earlier!  It is cold and getting late.  I think I will go get ready for bed!

Good night!

3 comments:

Matthew said...

With the temp holding steady around minus 11 here this evening, 12 above sounds pretty warm :)

Incidentally, though not personally verified, I've read frosted lungs aren't an issue until around 30 below...

We've been enjoying the snow here--can't remember when we've ever gotten 15" at once before! Definitely snowier and colder than we're used to as well. Huzzah for global cooling!

Blessings to y'all,
Matthew

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Great goals to have... I set myself some goals for this year but really I look at it as establishing new habits.

I like the goal of studying a book of the Bible. This year I am doing the reading thru the Bible but I'm taking a totally different approach than I ever have in the past so it's been fun and interesting.

Look forward to reading more about your goals as this year progresses.

Marc said...

As disciplined as you are I know you will be successful.

Love you,

Marc