Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Faith of a Child

Last week we had a missing library book. I don't know about your household, but no matter what system I put into place we always seem to lose books around here! I have a library basket that they are supposed to stay in unless they are being read. Without fail someone forgets and leaves a book somewhere and then it sends us into a tailspin looking for it. Mariah is our child that will search until she finds it. However, she looked and looked and couldn't find it. Matthew kept telling me that he thought we had already taken it back. There have been several occasions that our library has made a mistake and not checked something back in. I called them and after they checked the shelf and said it wasn't there I announced that I would give a prize to the person that found the book. Mariah set out on her search again. About an hour later she came downstairs and said, "Close your eyes mama." She had found the book. She told me she had already looked all around the bunk bed and didn't see it. She said, "I closed my eyes and prayed that God would help me find it. I opened my eyes and saw blue sticking out! He helped me find it!"

It made me think of the verse in Matthew that talks about having a "child-like faith". I don't think God wants us to have a "simple mind" or there wouldn't be other verses like:
"How blessed is the man who finds wisdom
and the man who gains understanding"(Prov 3:13).


Faith in the original language has more to do with confidence in something that is trustworthy (or faithful). Mariah's "child-like faith" was that she knew the Lord was faithful and He would help her find that book! Makes you wonder if we as adults had that kind of faith what God would do!

1 comment: