Saturday, March 11, 2017

Projects

Ok, when I get left home alone.... I tackle projects!  Matthew moved out (into his tiny house... still need to post about that!) and it freed up a lot of room!  I have shifted a bunch of stuff in our house.  One of the things that I wanted to do was move the stuff from the "play room" (dining room) up to the boys' room.  Ever since we took out the kitchen window and put in French doors it made the kitchen table feel "tight", and I really wanted to move our huge wooden table into the dining room. So.... I hauled it and then it got stuck! I ended up taking the legs off, moving it, putting the legs back on and then couldn't figure out how to get the table upright again!  I ended up putting pillows across my feet (in case they got smashed!) and hoisted the table back over!  Where there's a will... there's a way! :)


The small buffet on the left was my grandmother's that I got years ago when I first got married.  It was originally very dark wood.   At some point my grandmother  had painted it olive green.  It has been several shades of brown/tan since I've had it.  I have wanted to paint it a light gray chalk paint for a while.  The larger buffet was my mom's.  Years ago,,, before I had children, my mom and I would run around and do things together.  (I sure miss those years!) I took her out to a man's house that I knew that bought and sold old furniture.  He had this huge antique buffet and just wanted it out of his way. I think she may  have paid $50 for it and we laughed so hard when he brought it to her house.  I want to paint it a charcoal chalk paint. It needs some structural work... maybe one day.  Right now I just want it to at least LOOK pretty!

 
The dining room looks so much better and we are really enjoying the extra space for eating!
 

Ready to get that dark wood painted!


Here is the chocolate brown cabinet before I painted it.


And.... the finished product!  I got my Easter decorations out a little early just because it looked cheerful.  I'm thinking my rooster plate needs to go.  When Easter is over I will redo things. I like the cheerfulness for now.  I bought the cute little lamp at Hobby Lobby and it looks so cozy at night!


I'm searching now for a small round pedestal table.  I want something little in the kitchen to keep the space free, but somewhere the kids can eat breakfast and lunch.  I plan to use four mismatched painted chairs to go around it. I've got one so far! :)


So much better getting in and out of the doors without that huge table in the way!

 
Ok, just for fun... I love Food Network kitchen utensils!  They usually range from $10-$12 at Kohls.  I snagged these five for 80 cents each!  Score!!!  I threw out several of my old ones, so totally justified the new ones!
 

I have been in "clean out" mode lately.  Trying to really simplify our lives and our house. I think I have hauled about ten bags out of our house so far!  We just redid the boys room.  I will post about that next!  Things are looking more bare around here.... and I'm loving it! :)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Moving and shifting is very tiring and difficult task to do. I am just wondering if you could have taken little help of workers or neighbors. Glad you were finally able to shift the stuff.