Sunday, February 15, 2015

Ramblings...


 It is late Sunday night and I am sitting here in the bed enjoying the peace in quiet.   My husband is laying next to me sound asleep and all but Matthew are upstairs sleeping.  I hear the sound of water running which means Matthew is finally calling it a night too.  He is my night owl.  I used to be that way when I was younger (and several children ago!) 



It has been a long week.  My main computer is in the shop for repairs and our refrigerator officially bit the dust.  We bought a very nice stainless steel refrigerator four years ago thinking we would have it for years.  After battling with Sears all week long I told Marc I didn't have it in me.  We could have pursued it and they probably would have had to replace it, but it was not worth my time.  We went last night to Lowes and spent half of what we spent last time on a Whirlpool.  It is stainless but a little more basic this time.  We went back to the side by side model.  I was not impressed with the bottom freezer drawer and we had a repairman tell us that those have to work harder to keep the refrigerator part cool.  He was also the one that told us to not spend so much because none of them last!  They won't be delivering it until Thursday afternoon!  Thank goodness we have an extra fridge!   It has been a pain though!


Marc and I went to a coffee shop Friday night to celebrate Valentine's day.  It is in the downtown area of our little town and is so adorable. When McKenzie was at home she was a regular. :)  I had never eaten there and was very impressed.  Some friends of ours were playing music there that night.  It was a nice evening.  We left there and went to do a little shopping.  We went to Belks and Marc scored big on some $65 dress shirts for $10!


The week before last McKenzie came down and stayed with the kids for me to go on a business trip with Marc.  It was nice to get away and the kids loved being together.  They all said it was weird and "so normal" at the same time for McKenzie to be here like that.  When she went home she took Matt with her to visit there a few days.  I went last weekend up that direction to stay with my dad and we met on Sunday afternoon for him to come back home with me.  I love that my kids enjoy being together.  It is sweet as they get older watching them do things with each other.

 
Speaking of sweet.... Marc  brought home some things for me for Valentine's day and he also brought flowers for the girls and chocolate for the boys.  Matthew came home from work Valentine's night with treats for all the kids.  He is a thoughtful fellow.



On Friday I told Myles to lay on my bed and play quietly while I went running.  Macheus was asleep and the others were still working on school work.  When I got back my room was a mess.  One of the things he had done was gotten into the diaper bag and eaten several boxes of raisins and some little natural gummies that I buy for the baby for church.  He wasn't smart enough to hide the wrappers; they were laying everywhere.  When Marc walked in from work that evening and went to pass chocolate out Myles looked kind of funny with his candy in his hand.  I said, "Uh uh,  he is not eating that today."  He knew exactly why and handed his candy back.  He did get to eat it the next day AND had the nerve to get into my chocolate! :)  Marc introduced the baby to chocolate for the first time and he was trying to get his hands on everyone's chocolate all day.  I think we have some chocoholics on our hand. :o)  (They come by it honestly!)


I am really ready for spring!  We have had a pretty cold winter this year.  I know you "up north" people are laughing. :o)  I grew up in the north and I just don't think I could do it anymore!  I guess it is all in what you are used to.  I just like to be warm. In fact, I would rather run in the sweltering hot summer over a cold day!  My skin stays so dry and itchy when it is cold.  We have made it through January and half of February!


Madeline and I were out walking tonight and talking about our excitement over spring coming soon.  We both are looking forward to summer this year.  We haven't had a summer with nothing to do in years.  My mom's health problems dominated our lives her last few years of life and then when she died we were busy with my dad.  He was settled last year in his new retirement home but we were in full "wedding mode' last summer.  While I have wonderful memories of that time that I wouldn't trade for anything, I am looking forward to a relaxing summer.


I used to love to listen to Matthew and McKenzie talk late at night.  They always got along so well and when she got married I think Matthew mourned the loss of his "best friend".  It has been sweet to see him and Madeline grow closer.  They often sit around at night together and talk now.  This evening they both had their guitars out and were practicing together.  I finally had to run them off because I had reached "that point"!  I love my "big kids".  I fully understand now, that it doesn't matter how old your kids get you never stop worrying about them. They are all such sweet kids (not a bit biased!) and so thankful that they all are growing in their Christian walks.  I think the hardest part for me with having grown kids is that you can't "fix" everything for them.  When they hurt, you hurt.  People can be so cruel... some of them may not be intentionally, but sadly, some are.

 
Well, Marc is stirring and I guess I probably need to go to sleep too!  This was truly a ramble and I am too tired to proofread!

Until next time.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! Thank you for posting!! I loved it! :)