Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Tis the season

 
 
I was up late last night finishing our Christmas cards.  This morning I got up early, mopped the floors, started the laundry and left for a run.  When I got home I took a shower, did some school with Malachi, and then had to go to town.  I dropped Matthew and Madeline off at the orthodontist (with a pie in hand for the office that was made late last night), ran to the post office to get the cards mailed off, ran into Walmart for a few things that I forgot on my Walmart run yesterday, and then went to pick them back up.  We went into town to meet a farmer to buy some raw cow milk (our goats are dry right now) and he was an hour late.   I finally had to just leave without the milk because I knew Macheus was waiting to eat.  I ran home, dropped Matthew off, fed Macheus and then Madeline and I jumped back in the car to go for hair appointments.  We swung back by the farmer's market to see if the dairy farmer ever showed up and he was there.  We got the milk and headed to the salon.  Once we finished there we headed back home.  Everyone loaded up to go to church this evening and I stayed home with Macheus!  They ate at church so it was really nice to not have to fix dinner tonight!  Macheus and I wrapped a few more presents (I am almost done!) I balanced our checkbook and paid bills early (because Marc got paid early.)  I cleaned the top of my dresser and nightstand off!  I hate when they have clutter on them!  I graded some school work and did another load of laundry tonight in hopes that I won't have to do but one tomorrow. :o)

Every year I say I am going to get things done early and not get caught up in the craziness of the season.  Here I am again feeling stressed with busy stuff to do.  Christmas cards are nice, but I ask myself is it worth it?  I guess there are a few people that we don't keep up with via the computer, but for the most part everyone either has e-mail or is on facebook.  I have tried to keep the shopping and spending in check this year, but when you have seven children it takes time and money even if you don't do a lot.  We always bake for neighbors, the assisted living and any offices that we have appointments at during the Christmas season.  I think we are about finished with that too!  I look at my children sometimes and think about how fast they are growing up. I wonder if I spend time on things that really don't matter.  This might sound bad, but I even ask myself if I spend time and energy on people/relationships that don't matter.  These last days up until Christmas I hope to slow down, soak up my family and remember why we are even celebrating CHRISTmas at all.

3 comments:

Sharon K said...

Our pastor encouraged us last week to stop what everyone thinks you should be doing this Christmas and take time to ponder who God really is. His thoughts were from Isaiah 9 and very encouraging. If you want a link to his audio sermon, let me know. (I didn't plan to slow way down this Christmas but God slowed me down and I am really grateful.)
I love reading about your family. I pray your Christmas is fill of His blessings.

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I have recently been convicted about how busy I let myself get. I realize I need to do more praying and asking God what my priorities should be. I don't want to just fill up my time, I want it to have purpose.
Praying this next year I can focus more on the relationships God wants me to focus on.

Marcy said...

That is my prayer for next year too, Elizabeth!
Yes, Sharon, I would love to have the link to the sermon. :o)