Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Decking the halls

Every year we decorate the Christmas tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  When the older children were small I always planned it out and wanted it to be a wonderful, fun evening.  It usually was chaotic and something always went wrong with the lights, the tree stand, broken ornaments, crying children or grumpy parents.
 

I have learned to just go with the flow and let life happen.  The kids have more fun and it makes me stress less. :o)  This year was loud, crazy, chaotic and we had multiple broken ornaments.  I think the kids had fun though and we made memories.


Marc and I affectionately call Matthew "Father Christmas".  He has always loved Christmas.  His first Christmas (he was turning one that month) he would point to the Christmas lights and say,  "Ight, ight" over and over.  He would have our entire house covered in lights if we let him.  I think he looks forward to the day that he can decorate his own home at Christmas time. :o)


I am not sure why there aren't any pictures of the girls decorating.  They were there!


 I love meaningful ornaments that make you remember something.  Each child has at least one first Christmas ornament.  We also have ornaments with our names on them.  We have one with just mine and Marc's names from our first Christmas together, and then one as we added each child.  I need to get one made this year and add Macheus!  We have ornaments from the different towns we lived in and last year we added one in memory of my mom.

 
 Macheus hasn't paid a bit of attention to the tree.  Myles loves the lights and every morning he gives me a hug and says,  "Merry Christmas lights mommy!"

2 comments:

Marc said...

I am going to miss these times when they are grown.

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I love Christmas time too... lots of wonderful memories are made!