Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sanctity of Human Life

Today was Sanctity of Human Life Sunday, and the pastor at the church we have been visiting preached on that this morning.  The message today has had me pondering "life" in general and how as a society there is no respect for human life.  I found it ironic that my mother, who had lived her last years as a director of a crisis pregnancy center, spent her final days under the care of doctors that clearly didn't value her life.  We had one doctor ask her,  "You want to die?" when my mom was trying to say,  "I want to live."  It was gut wrenching and eye-opening at how far we have come as a society.  I thought the following was a good quote and shows how much the mind-set has changed.

"If you look at history, ancient cultures held the elderly with a high regard. The elderly had knowledge of the past, the present, and the future. The people of those cultures turned to them for information to make good choices and to help mold the next generation. When did we start to turn away from our elderly and treat them as a hindrance instead of a strong part of who we are?"

And this...

"Our parents brought us into this world. They raised us, clothed us, fed us, and put a roof over our heads. Isn't  the least we can do is to keep them company in old age? Our government stepped in to be “helpful” and we now have Social Security payments and Medicaid for the elderly but because of those interventions I think it gave generations an “OK” to wash their hands of the elderly. It seems to be society has turned their heads from them and they are forgotten."

I have told my older children that the most important "ministry" opportunities are usually the least glamorous.  The ones where there is nothing in it for you.  McKenzie has befriended a grumpy old man down the street.  She has won him over in the last year by baking things for him and visiting him.  He used to think our family was odd and called us "The Tribe".   He now thinks she is wonderful and they enjoy talking about gardening.  Another ministry opportunity that my girls do is visit a small nursing home in our town.  The residents are so lonely and soak up the time that they spend with them.  We have been amazed at the ones that have children that don't bother with them at all.

Now in our own family, since the death of my mom,  my dad needs us more. We don't know what the future holds for him, but I hope that my children will learn to sacrifice and that life doesn't revolve around them.

"You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord." Leviticus 19:13

So, while today's focus was on the unborn, I think we should value life at all stages.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I agree totally! Thank you for sharing ..... my daughters and I do some volunteer work with the elderly in our church and it's very rewarding! Take care :)

Sharon K said...

Well said!