Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Last days and a recipe....

I went to see my midwife on Monday.  Things are progressing, but no baby yet.  I am not technically "due" until somewhere after the 1st of Feb.  Early ultrasounds showed as late as the 7th, although I think it is around the 3rd.  My last two came a week early but this one might not!  I am really peaceful about going longer.  I want the baby to be healthy and if that means another week of pregnancy that is fine with me! :o)
 
The other day we were all wanting something sweet.  I found this recipe on the Internet and because it called for ingredients that we tend to keep on hand we made it.  I will share the original recipe and then tell what I changed and what I would change if I did it again.  It wasn't wonderful, but it was good and it was easy! We actually liked them better the next day when they were harder.

Easy Chocolate Chip Oat Bars

Ingredients:
  • 1 c of all-purpose Flour
  • 3/4 c packed light brown sugar
  • 1 c of quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 c of softened butter
  • 1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 c of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Optional: chopped nuts, butterscotch chips, or peanut butter chips
Directions:
1. Combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, and butter until it makes a crumbly mixture.
2. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture for the topping.
3. Press firmly into a 9×13 glass baking dish.
4. Evenly top with the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and other optional toppings.
5. Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
6. Top with the reserved crumb topping and bake an additional 15 minutes until lightly brown.

Ok... here is what I did.  I used fresh ground whole wheat, sucanat instead of brown sugar, and our optional toppings were chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut (I love coconut!)  If I were to make these again I would cut the flour back 1/4 cup.  The topping was too powdery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
McKenzie made two new muffin recipes today.  One of them was a lemon iced muffin that was to die for!  Maybe she will post the recipe on her blog.  Can you tell that sweets are my thing right now?  I can't eat much at this point and all I want is fruit and sweet stuff. :o)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are in the middle of a severe thunder storm as I type this.  I tend to have more contractions in the evening.  I am praying that this baby does NOT decide to come tonight! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, and one more crazy thing that someone said to me the other day!  We had taken the girls to a farm to look at a horse to possibly buy.  She made a comment about the girls and asked if I knew what this baby was.  I went on to tell her that we had three boys at home.  She said,  "So this is your seventh!?  Please tell me you are a blended family and you didn't birth that many!"  The irony of her thinking it a bigger deal that we would actually have seven children together than if we were divorced and some of the children were from previous marriages.  I just laughed and said that I had birthed them all and that they had the same daddy! :o)  It is funny that in some circles we are an oddity, but in others our family is pretty average! :o)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, it is only 8:30, but I am going to go take a shower and climb in my bed.  I am 9 months pregnant and I CAN do that! :o)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

When I was pregnant with my 7th, the doctors at the office were always shocked that I had 7 children with ONE man. They were amazed that all my children had one daddy. It's a sad commentary on our culture today. Praying all goes well with the birth!

Giann said...

To me, if they know about the Duggars, they shouldn't be shocked that this is your seventh! =O