Monday, September 27, 2010

Thankfulness, Pink Casts, and Jane Fonda

Today a year ago was the worst day of my life. On September 27, 2009, a week after Myles was born, Marc, Matthew and Malachi were in an awful car accident. It is by the Lord's hand that Matthew is alive today. I struggle with worry over my children. I could really make myself crazy (and sometimes I do!) worrying about their safety. I am thankful that God is sovereign, and even when we don't understand everything that He allows in our lives, it happens for a bigger purpose.
So very grateful for this messy, scatter-brained, sometimes annoying teenage boy! :>)
A man at church that cleaned our van out after the wreck told Matthew that he should not be here, and that God must have something special for him to do. I look forward to seeing how God uses Matthew for His glory!

Ok, so where does "pink casts and Jane Fonda" come in? Well, this past Saturday Madeline and Mariah decided to ride horses. I gave my usual, "Be careful! Wear your riding helmets! Don't get behind the horses! Don't ride close to trees! Stay away from where Matt and Daddy are mowing!" and on and on... (Remember... I AM a worry wart!) I was sitting in the office with McKenzie and glanced out the window to see Matthew (who is NEVER in a hurry) run and jump the fence. He had a look of concern on his face. I then saw Madeline ride up on her horse looking scared. I ran out the door and immediately saw Mariah laying on the ground and her horse was nowhere in sight. My heart was beating out of my chest. Once I knew she could move her legs I calmed down. Marc and I both were ready to shoot all of the horses! (In the horses defense, we later found out she had been hitting the horse with a crop. That does tell a horse to run...) We calmed down and brought her in the house. I gave her a bath and Marc checked her over. She had a scraped face and her arm was bothering her. She seemed to be ok other than that. I had well check ups scheduled for today for the two little boys. When Mariah's arm was still bothering her last night Marc decided to take the day off of work and take Mariah to the doctor too. It was an all day affair of waiting rooms and doctor visits. Her arm was broken and she now has a pretty pink cast to show off! She was sure she wouldn't be able to do school work or practice piano. Her face fell when the doctor told her she could use her fingers.
We finally pulled into our driveway around 7:30 this evening. We had to unload tired children and groceries. I normally run in the morning, and I do not like to miss my run! This morning it was raining so I decided I would just run this afternoon. I had no idea we would be dark getting home! Finally at 9:30 McKenzie and I got ready to take off. I have a short little stretch that I run back and forth on when it is dark. Marc told me to take a light. I took a light weight flashlight. We hadn't gotten two tenths of a mile down the road when we saw a snake in the road. (There went my theory that if it was cool and wet snakes wouldn't be out!) We quickly turned and darted back to the house. We both were wanting to get some kind of exercise so I told her we could do aerobics in the picket fence area. It was dark and nobody would see us! McKenzie couldn't get the hang of all of my old aerobic moves! We burned more calories laughing than we did exercising. She said, "Mom, you are good!" I told her it was from my Jane Fonda days!
I am exhausted. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

If I had children I too would worry about everything but one thing I have learned is that everything is in the Lord's hands. There are so many times that He protects us and we dont even know it. Now, more than ever, I know how precious life is... but it doesnt mean I worry more, I actually have peace because I know that God is in control. He took Mike from me because that was His will and His timing...it wasn't any accident that caught God by surprise.
I am thankful that God gives us the grace we need to make it through whatever we are going through during each season of our life.
Praise the Lord for an All Knowing God!

Donna said...

I am so thankful Mariah is OK. That little girl is not afraid of anything.... She just likes to keep her parents on their toes and her prayer warriors warmed up!