Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A walk down memory lane...

My father was second youngest in a family of nine children (actually ten, one died at birth.) The baby of their family was his brother Herman. My father (Edward, as his siblings refer to him) and Herman were very close growing up. The stories I have heard over the years about the two of them are so funny and make me wonder what I am in for with my two littlest boys!

Herman has Parkinson's Disease and is not doing well. He had been asking his children to take him to see my dad for a while. This past Saturday they made it happen. Out of the nine siblings, there are only three left; Emily 91, Edward 84 and Herman 82. One of Herman's daughters picked Emily up and brought her too. My dad really was hoping some of us could be there. My sisters couldn't make it and I didn't think I would be able to do it either. At the last minute (literally!) we decided to make it happen. I am so thankful that I did.

Siblings... It is sad that Emily and my dad are in such great shape and they are older than Herman. Parkinson's has really taken it's toll.

Cousins. David is Thelma's son. She died several years ago and was between Emily and my dad. The three girls are Herman's daughters. They are right at the same ages as me and my sisters. It is very sad that we didn't really know each other growing up. I know we would have had so much fun. It was neat to see that one of them looks like my sister Kellie!

This moment right here was worth every effort to get there! My dad and Herman started talking about their childhood and some of the funny (and some very foolish!) things that they did. They grew up on a farm and were in charge of milking their cow. They would squirt the milk into the cats' mouths. So that their mama wouldn't know that they had wasted the milk, they would add water to it. Aunt Emily very indignantly said, "I thought our milk tasted watery sometimes!" She has said more than one time when I ask her about my dad as a little boy, "He and Herman were BAD!"
Lots of laughter.
The big sister listening to their stories. Doesn't she look incredible!?

Aunt Emily told of when my dad started school. She said that she, Thelma and Mildred had always walked to school together. The year that my dad started he had a hard time keeping up. If he got behind he would scream, "WAIT!" If they didn't slow up he would throw rocks at them. One time he hit his big sister Mildred in the head.
My dad is probably one of the sweetest, gentlest people I know. It was neat to hear from Herman's daughters that he is like that too. Their mama and daddy must have been sweet people. I hate that I never knew them. They both died before I was born.

Saying good-bye... It was sad to see Herman wipe the tears from his eyes.

Malachi telling his second cousin goodbye!
I know it had to be going through their minds wondering if they would see each other this side of heaven again.



Wonderful memories...

2 comments:

Donna said...

Ok, I don't usually cry while reading your posts....but this time I did. The pictures will be treasures.

Monica said...

I've got tears in my eyes looking at these pictures! I'm so glad they got to see each other! I love the story about Dad throwing rocks at his siblings. That sounds like something Clayton would do!