Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Projects and other things...

I never seem to accomplish all of my goals in the summertime, but I did get a couple of things done this week! We recently bought new living room furniture and were saving up for the tables to go with it. I had posted my old tables on Craigs list to try to sell them. I didn't get any response, and then I decided since they were good sturdy tables that I would just store them. Who knows... maybe McKenzie would want them for her home one day! Then my sister Kellie and her children stopped by here one day when they were heading to our mom's house. She suggested since they were good solid wood tables to paint the tops black. Our kitchen table has black chairs and benches that have kind of a "beat up" look. I decided to try to achieve the same look. I was a little nervous, but I think they turned out pretty good and saved tons of money!
Before-

After-




This room is technically supposed to be the "dining room" in our house. We had moved the old couch and chair in there when we got the new furniture. It ended up looking like a junk room. I sold the couch on Craigs list (I love that list!:>) last week. I switched the office chair to this room and put the other chair in the office. We put baby gates on both entries to this room, so now Myles has a completely "baby proof" room to play in. *Note to self looking at this pic... next project is to clean out that book basket!*
We love, love, love books at our house. Our whole family loves to read. Summertime means lots of library books! Our library basket just isn't big enough in the summertime!



Keeping little people busy when the day just gets too hot!


Mariah finishing up her last years school. She is reading like crazy now! It is so fun when the "light bulb" turns on!



McKenzie recently started her first "real job"! Marc has always said he didn't want his daughters working unless it was something that would benefit them for the future. We are not against a college education for them, but he just wants them to be prepared for being a wife and mother. I have a college degree, but I wish that I had learned more practical skills when I was young. We have tried to encourage them to learn skills and have hobbies that can be useful (and help make money) in the future. McKenzie was recently asked to teach piano at a studio in town. She started this week and will work one afternoon/evening a week for 5-6 hours. She was nervous, but I know she will do great. It will be great training to teach her own children one day, or even out of her home. Here she is going through old music.

Pjs and sparklers before bedtime!


This was funny. Marc got up and made pancakes for breakfast one morning (he even ground his own wheat!) He is not a cook, so he was quite pleased! They were good too!Malachi- "Hey mommy! Take a picture of my muscles!"

Happy Summer!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Reading this brightened by day! Love to hear about what goes on in your lives during the week. Was wondering how McKenzie's new adventure had gone. Know she did well. Tell Malachi his muscles are getting really big. Must be from eating part of that huge stack of pancakes! Oh yeah, love your new furniture too... Hope this week goes well for you. Missed seeing you today; hope I'll be there next week. Love you!

Lines From The Vine said...

I *love* the black top tables! We have some end tables that I'm thinking of staining a little darker and then tiling the top. I think it couldn't hurt- the top is already coming up from the base. I'm just a little nervous!