Friday, December 1, 2017

This and that...

This time of year is so busy.  I have tried to get a jump on some of the things I wanted to get done.  We put our tree up and decorated the house last weekend.

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

The big kids talked me into doing a real Christmas tree this year. We haven't had a real one in about five or six years.  I overheard the little kids talking about Christmas the other day.  Macheus said, "I'm so 'cited 'bout Christmas!"  Myles said, "We're not having Christmas this year.  Mama sold our tree."  Poor kids... I think they were relieved when Matthew took them to pick out a real tree. :)

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting, table and indoor
These pictures are from Thanksgiving. We had originally planned to be in the mountains over Thanksgiving. Trying to juggle people to take care of my dad and our animals caused us to have to bump the trip up... which meant we would be home for Thanksgiving.  So instead of not having to cook... I got to cook the entire meal! :)  It was fine though. A sweet neighbor volunteered to cook our turkey for us and Madeline did a lot of the preparing!  She is a blessing!

Image may contain: dessert and food

                                                      The "kitchen crew"!

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

Mariah had been in charge of the mashed potatoes.  She got a bit overwhelmed and Madeline finished them up.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, kitchen, indoor and food

Turkey, two pans of dressing, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and chocolate layer torte!  Nobody went hungry!

Image may contain: kitchen, indoor and food

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, eating, sitting, child and food

Most of my crew enjoys the meal. I'm not really into it and I think Macheus takes after me. :)

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, eating, food and indoor

 Whenever we fix holiday meals and whenever I fix a meal for someone else, we always use my mom's and grandma's old recipes. So thankful that she knew it was important to pass those on to her children and grandchildren!

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people sitting, people eating, table, food and indoor

McKenzie and Daniel went to his mom's to eat but stopped by for a quick picture with the babes.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people sitting, shoes and child

The next day the girls and I took off for our annual Black Friday shopping!  It is our tradition and we always have so much fun!

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, indoor

Lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant!

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting and indoor

The next day was Marc's birthday!  The trip to the mountains was his celebration, but I couldn't let his day go by without cake!  McKenzie was at our house so she whipped up a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting, table, food and indoor

I love this loud, crazy household!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting and indoor

Sunday after church we decorated the tree!  It was a joyful chaos!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting and indoor

Matthew and Madeline decided to go Christmas shopping that evening.  They asked if Mariah wanted to go and she decided to go visit an elderly man down the street instead. I love her heart!  She had taken him a pie the day before but was in a hurry and didn't get to play the piano for him.

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting and indoor

She spent two hours talking to him and playing the piano for him.  His wife is not in good health and he gets very lonely.  We have our hands full with my dad, but we still try to see Mr. W sometimes.  I wish someone had taken time to be with my parents when they were living in another town and struggled so much.  If everyone would find someone in their lives to minister to.... just one person, it would make a difference.  Sadly, most are too busy..... or too selfish.  Thankful my children value the elderly.

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting, living room, table and indoor

When my kids get older I always wonder how many more  Christmases they will be at home.  Matthew has always loved Christmas!  He is the one that decorates the outside of our house.  I will miss that one day......

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, christmas tree, shoes and indoor

The boys were so eager to get it decorated.  A few ornaments crashed to the floor in all of their enthusiasm. I was only a bit sad about one of them.
I always remind myself..... "people, not stuff".

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, christmas tree, child and indoor

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

We have had a bow on the top of our tree for the past six years.  It was ;looking rough, so the kids bought a new star.  Myles did the honors of putting it on.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, christmas tree and indoor
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, closeup and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and indoor

Just about there!

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, hat, child and outdoor

In line with my minimalism, I decided to go thru my Christmas decor this year.  We hauled off a bag!  I consolidated some things and the storage should be a bit more tidy this year when we pack it all away!

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

I have always kept an inexpensive nativity set for my kids to play with.  We've had multiple sets as pieces have broken.  We now have multiple Mary's, but only one baby Jesus.  I wrapped the spares knowing that something will break this year.

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, shoes and indoor

I'm really enjoying the live tree this year.! I like the imperfections and love the smell!

Image may contain: christmas tree, table and indoor


We are out of town..... again...... with Marc on business.  This time Madeline and Macheus came with us.  It fell on her days off!  I will be home this weekend and then we will head out again on Monday with different kiddos.  While my kids love it, I'm growing weary of living out of a suitcase. It does allow them to experience some different things, and we get to focus on just a couple of kids at a time.  After the next trip we should have a break for a little while!  I think I said that about this trip. Ha.... I'm thankful that I have a husband that wants us to tag along.  I watch some of the business men hanging out at the hotel bars late at night and realize I have much to be thankful for!

~Until next time........

No comments: