Saturday, November 24, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

We had Thanksgiving out our house again this year.  We have been home every year since my mom died.  I always think of her as I prepare the meal using all of her old recipes.  I still miss her. :(
 
 
McKenzie and her crew were with us this year, and my oldest sister and her family came down.


Madeline, Mariah and I spent the day Wednesday getting the food done. Two pans each of dressing, sweet potatoes, corn casserole, a pot full of mashed potatoes, green beans, and cranberry sauce! Mariah always makes pumpkin pies.  Nobody ever eats them on Thanksgiving day, but it's tradition! When the weekend rolls around and they are scrounging for something sweet they are always glad they are there! :)  My sister made broccoli salad and chocolate layer torte. (Another of my mom's recipes!)  McKenzie made homemade rolls and a yummy pumpkin cake!  We had enough for triple the crowd!


Our neighbor fried this turkey for me and I cooked a turkey breast.


McKenzie butchering the bird!  Haha....


Elizabeth with her Great-Aunt Monica!


                                           "Please don't take my picture."


The weather was beautiful so the kids got to play outside.


And these guys watched a little football on the computer.


Matthew and grandpa.  I always wonder if it will be his last.  He has been a handful lately, and we are pretty sure dementia is rearing its ugly head. :(  A very hard season for all of us.  I'm thankful for the good memories, but sad that my younger children didn't get to know the "Boo Boo and Pa" that the older ones loved so dearly. Matthew always takes him in stride... which is nice.  

 
McKenzie's beautiful cake!
 

                                                         


                                                 The kids played out behind the barn.


A bunch of the grandchildren and one great-grandchild!  The two babies were sleeping.



                                                   


The next day I went Black Friday shopping with my girls.  It is a tradition we have always done, and I used to do it with my mom.  My mom was a more serious shopper than I am, but we always have fun.  We don't go out early and battle the lines, but we got to Kohls late morning and didn't quit until late that night!  I have most of my shopping done which is nice!


One of our favorite traditions is lunch at La Parillas!



 
One of our last stops was Bass Pro!  It was cold and drizzly out so the fire was nice!


 
Yep, we wore dorky, matching shirts!  I saw them at Kohls and laughed at them and Madeline talked me into it. 
 
Well, I can't believe the Christmas season is upon us!  We have so much to be thankful for and it's always a good time of year to slow down and reflect on God's goodness in our lives!
 
 I hope you all are having a wonderful and Peace-filled holiday season!
 
 
"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!" Psalm 107:1
 
~ Until next time......

1 comment:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

I love how you guys have lots of traditions and you all live close enough together to get together often.