Thursday, April 16, 2015

Grace

"Grace is the enabling gift of God not to sin. Grace is power, not just pardon." John Piper

I thought this was good.  I need God's grace desperately in my life!  I pray that I never cheapen that grace though by allowing myself to stay in sin.  As Christians we should always be striving to be more like Jesus.  I tell my children that they should never be comfortable in this world.

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2

If we "fit in" with the world, listen to the world's music, watch television and movies that don't line up with Philippians 4:8 (" Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.") then we probably should be asking ourselves if we are really living our lives for Christ.  I am not saying that we can "work" our way to heaven, but if we truly are saved our desires should be different than the world's.

It isn't always fun or popular to be different.  Sometimes even in your own circles it can be difficult.  I have watched so many Christian families change over the years and some just completely fall away.  Does God change?  Does His word change?  What use to be held dear to them is no longer important?  I just don't understand.  I fail all the time, but my heart is to be more like Jesus than I was last week, or last year. When you see Christians going backwards it is very disheartening.  We have spent a lot of time lately talking as a family about this topic. I was very thankful that we could attend a home school conference last weekend.  The speakers were very encouraging and it was a reminder that when I get overwhelmed or downhearted that my focus is on myself or circumstances and it should always be on Christ!

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Well, those were my late night thoughts.... good night! :>)

No comments: