Monday, June 28, 2010

Twentieth Anniversary

On June 23rd, Marc and I celebrated our 2oth anniversary. I remember years ago thinking that on our 20th, McKenzie would be 17 years old... which is only two years younger than I was when I got married! Time goes by so fast!

Several weeks ago we decided to go to Stone Mountain in Atlanta, Georgia. I have lots of fun memories of going there when I was a child and we would head south to my grandparent's house in the summers. Of course, we knew Myles would go with us because he is nursing. McKenzie would stay home with the rest of the children and keep things going with the animals. The day before we were to leave it crossed my mind to take Malachi with us. This was something I knew Marc would never do! It seems like there is always one child that is more "needy" at different times. Lately, Malachi has been that one. When Marc is home, he is by his side. He watches what Marc does and tries to do the same thing. I was out running and talking to Marc on my cell phone. He mentioned taking Malachi with us. I laughed thinking he would change his mind. I have been reading the book "To Train Up A Child". While I don't agree with everything in the book, I have gleaned some good things from it. I love the chapter on "tying heart strings" with your children. So, on the trip every time Malachi would cry or do something crazy, we would laugh and say, "We are tying heart strings!" Hopefully one day when he hears that he went on our 20th anniversary trip with us he will know how much he is loved! :>)

We hiked the mountain... up and back down! Myles in the front pack and Malachi partly on foot and partly on Marc's back! Needless to say, we got a work out! We weren't 2 minutes into the hike when Malachi said, "My legs are tired!" Yes, we were crazy!

He was such a little grouch at the top, we couldn't get a decent picture of him!





Myles was a little angel on the entire trip. This restaurant that we ate at was so slow. He was very patient!


Malachi discovered "fried pickles". I didn't care for them, but the guys did.




We hung out at the pool a lot! It was nice because the resort was full of mostly business people. We pretty much had the pool to ourselves.





The first night there we went to see the Laser show. We had some glow in the dark necklaces. Malachi bit into one and swallowed some of the liquid. After a huge scare and a call to poison control we were assured that he would be fine! When the lady at P.C. asked for the child's name I told her he already "had a record"! Never a dull moment with this little monkey!


When we arrived home we pulled up to Matthew with a bloody arm where one of the horses had gotten out. It had just happened as we were pulling into the driveway. Other than that, things at the house went smoothly. McKenzie always does a fabulous job. The house was spotless, laundry done and she even had this vase of flowers and a yummy, chocolate, heart cake baked for us!


I am thankful for 20 years of marriage to a very Godly man! We had a great time getting away (even with Malachi along!) We had lots of time to talk about plans for this year, goals for our children and talked about things we love about each one of our children and each other. With six children talking is something that doesn't always happen easily around here. I am looking forward to the next twenty years, maybe not quite as eventful as the first! :>)

3 comments:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!

Tracy said...

Congratulations!

Donna said...

Happy Anniversary! (Late, but well intended...). I'm sure Malachi would have posed very well for his picture, but he was just too tired. He is never a grouch! Oh, but he is a cute little fellow that just has a hard time sometimes.

Give all the kids (well, Matthew probably wouldn't want it) squeezes from me. Hope to see y'all Friday night.