Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"Kweechy" anyone???

We have been blessed with lots of eggs and now our own goats milk this spring. I have been trying to use them, because each day there are more! One of my sisters always gives me a new calendar for my birthday. I think the tradition started when we were teenagers! It is always fun to see what kind of calendar she gets each year. I think this years is one of my favorites. Each month it has a Bible verse and a recipe. This months recipe was quiche. So, where does my post title "Kweechy anyone??" come in? Well, I took the calendar down so I could use the recipe and one of my children came in and said, "What is kweechy?" It was so funny, because this particular child (whom asked to remain anonymous:>) is a strong reader and speller. I laughed so hard! I bet I have said a hundred times when I am teaching my children phonics, "Q never stands alone. Q always takes U as his partner. QU is pronounced "KW" You just have to love phonics! Then Malachi came in and heard us talking about "Quiche" and said, "I want some peesh!" I am sure "Quiche" will now be "kweechy" or "peesh" at our house!

I don't normally use a recipe when I make quiche, but this one had mayonnaise in it. I decided to try it and everyone loved it. I am sure the fresh eggs and milk made a difference. I also order organic, raw cheese from "Morningland Dairy". If you ever try it, you will never want store bought cheese again!

"Vegetable Quiche" (I doubled this recipe and it made three large quiches)
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. flour
1/3 cup onions minced
1 package frozen, chopped spinach
8 ounces shredded sharp cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 unbaked pie shell
Preheat oven to 350
In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mayonnaise and flour. Add remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until golden brown.

Whole Wheat Pie Crust: (I did this recipe 1 1/2 times to make three quiches)

2 cups freshly milled flour (hard white)
1 tsp salt
2/3 cups and 2 TBS butter
7 Tbs cold water
Combine flour and salt, cut in butter. Add water and mix. If the dough is too wet add a little more flour. Divide dough in half and roll out on flour surface.

Here is what it looked like when it was done. Once upon a time I would have had left-overs. With a teenage boy in the house those days are over! This did fill him up though!

"...My people shall be satisfied with My goodness, saith the Lord." Jeremiah 31:14

1 comment:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

wow... this "kweechy" looks delicious!