Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Do you know where your food comes from?

I have always tried to eat fairly healthy. In my younger years it was more in an effort to stay thin. Once I had children though, my thoughts turned more to what was healthy. It has been a learning process. I remember when I was pregnant for the first time, my idea of "healthy" was buying whole wheat bread! Now, we grind our own grains and make everything ourselves. Because our family members and most of our friends pretty much do things the way we do, I take for granted that a lot of people don't have a clue about what they are eating. We recently watched the movie "Food Inc." In my opinion, every American should watch that movie. It will make you want to grow as much of your own food as you can, and to buy things locally. Some people get grossed out at the thought of eating a "yard egg", but if they knew what a battery chicken (which is where the eggs at the store come from) looked like they would quickly change their mind. We look at the meat at the grocery store in it's clean little package having no idea where that meat has come from. The industries answer to the E-coli problem (which is because of the horrible conditions in feed lots) is to wash the meat with ammonia. Do you really want to feed your family meat that had to be washed in ammonia!?

We have a long way to go, but we are attemtping to become as self-sufficient or buying local as much as we can. We try to expand our gardening a little each year. We have our own eggs and with the help of our friends from church we have even butchered our own hens! We have wanted to have our own milk source for a long time. That dream has finally come true with McKenzie's goat giving birth last week. We now have our own fresh goats milk each day! We have had access to raw cows milk for years, but there is something about knowing exactly what the animal is eating and how everything is handled. Maybe one day we can have a milk cow! :>) Another thing we do is buy our beef from local farmers. We have several sources around us for grass fed beef. It is a good feeling when you have a freezer full of good, clean meat!

Thankful for very busy hens this spring!

Our fig trees show promise of a plentiful year!

Little "Daisy" taking her bottle. McKenzie milks her mama and the baby takes it from a bottle. We are getting a little over half a gallon a day for us to use. That has been so much fun!
"You shall have enough goats milk for your food, For the food of your household," Proverbs 27:27



The weather has finally turned warm and it has been a glorious week! Everything is bursting open and there is green everywhere. I love spring!
I would love to hear from you if you watch the movie. Now, go find out where your food comes from!

2 comments:

EmilyMarieKirk said...

I must admit, I used to think the organic, or "granola" ad I have termed them, people were a bit extreme...but here I am now slowly trying to go all organic myself! I can see myself being just like you once I have children...except minus the farm animals;-)

Jenna said...

For many years we have been improving our diet as well...but after watching Food Inc. a month ago, our garden has doubled in every effort to preserve all of our veggies for the year (we'll see if that happens!) and we have a calf for beef, with plans to raise turkeys and more chickens along with our pigs.

Our Jersey just freshened after 3 years of waiting, so we can make our dairy products too when we get extra milk.

Anyways, we're right there with you in trying to be as self-sufficient as possible...and I think that everyone should watch Food Inc - HIGHLY recommended!

Blessings,
Jenna