Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happy Birthday McKenzie!

Sixteen years ago today I became a mom. My husband and I married while we were in college. I was only nineteen and he was twenty-two. I had big plans to finish college and go on to get my Master's in Early Childhood Education. The fall of my senior year I found out I was expecting a baby. I was very surprised and wondered how it was all going to fit with my plans. The last day of my senior year instead of being at college I was in the hospital giving birth (eleven days late!) to a beautiful baby girl. Until you become a parent I don't think you can even imagine what it is like to lay eyes on your first baby. Everything changed the day she was born. It no longer seemed important to be a school teacher and it definitely didn't seem important to go on and get my masters!


It is funny thinking back on those early days as new parents. I remember changing her outfits several times a day just to see something new on her. I took pictures and videoed everything she did. I remember my husband racing home from work to see her because he was afraid he was going to miss something! We have videos of her laying on a pallet with music playing and both of us talking to her as hard as we could. It is a wonder that she isn't a nervous wreck to this day!


I am so glad that the Lord had bigger plans than I had. I often wonder what my life would look like if I had gotten my way and started teaching school. It is sad to think of the blessings I would have missed. Each one of our children are unique and have a special place in the family. I am SO thankful as our family continues to grow that He knew I would need McKenzie to be the first-born. She is a huge help to me and a blessing to the entire family!


We love you McKenzie and hope that you have a wonderful Sixteenth Birthday!

3 comments:

Mike and Elizabeth Williams said...

Happy Birthday McKenzie ~ it's been great to read your blog and your Mom's blog.

May the Lord continue to bless you in your walk with Him!

Love,
Mr and Mrs Williams

Gran said...

How well I remember that pregnancy test and how thrilled I was. I wanted to be a grandma before I turned fifty and I made it, thanks to McKenzie. What a joy she has been and how much fun I had with her when she was little. God has richly blessed us with grandchildren and I love each one so much.

alexis said...

Hi, I don't know any of you but I would like to wish McKenzie a very happy birthday, from here in the UK.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the blog and looking at the photos of your lovely family :)

Alexis C.