Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Stone Mountain Trip

Several weeks ago Madeline and I spent the weekend at Stone Mountain in celebration  of her turning 16.  Her birthday was in March but we wanted the weather to be pretty when we went, and she wanted to be finished with Veritas.
Six years ago I took McKenzie on this same trip to celebrate her 16th!  Time sure flies!
 

The first thing we did was hike the mountain.  We hit it hard and got a good workout in! 


On top of the mountain!

After the hike we went to the gristmill to have a picnic.  Our healthy sub sandwiches weren't so healthy accompanied by coke and pringles. :o)



The gristmill is my favorite spot at Stone Mountain.  I remember playing here as a child when my family would come to Georgia in the summer to see our grandparents.






 
  It was neat to learn some of the history behind the carving that we didn't know.  We learned that the man that began the project in the early 1900's quit because there was controversy over who was supposed to be funding the project.  That crew left and did Mt. Rushmore.  Later another group came in to finish it.  I think they picked it back up in the 50's and it was complete in the early 70's.


 In the evening we went to see the Laser Show.  It was very good and I really liked the patriotic songs that they played at the end.

 
We spent part of one of the days in the village area going through the shops and watching a glass blower make some things.
 

Madeline sat here quietly for the longest time.  When I asked her if she was ready to go she said she was just looking at the carving and wondering what they would think of the state of our country if they were here today.  I love that she is a deep thinker.  She is a quiet girl but there is often a lot more going on in that head than people realize!



We rode the cable car up the mountain the next day.  I hate riding it and wondered why I tortured myself as we went up the mountain!

 
  Of course, it was fun to take some more pictures up there though!


Waiting on the 3-D movie.  This year it was some brainless bird cartoon! :o)



 
We rode the train and the whole time I thought how much Myles would have loved it!  We need to go back and take the boys!
 


Another one of my favorite things at the park is the old plantation area.  The houses, farm yard and gardens are so pretty!


I took McKenzie's picture in front of this house too!





 
So much history...




I absolutely love this sweet girl and enjoyed every minute I had with her!  I treasure the one on one time I have with my children and know it is so very fleeting!

No comments: