Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Do The Next Thing

I was talking to a sweet friend on the phone yesterday.  This friend is one that has an amazing servant spirit. She could relate to some of the challenges I am facing right now with raising children while caring for an elderly parent.  She told me about the following poem that Elisabeth Elliot often quotes.  Life is full of challenges and uncertainties.  Sometimes it is the uncertainty that is more overwhelming than just surviving each day.  This was a good reminder that I have no control over the future, but I CAN do what the Lord has given me to do today.  I thought it might be an encouragement to someone else like it was for me.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A poem quoted by Elisabeth Elliot
Do The Next Thing
"At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
there came in the twilight a message to me.
Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven
that, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.
And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
like a low inspiration, 'Do the next thing.'

Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
leave all resultings, do the next thing.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
working or suffering be thy demeanor,
in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
Do the next thing."

1 comment:

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

thank you so much for sharing this!